September 10, 2008

Blow out the lamps and throw open the shutters

For some reason we cannot find our "Our Daily Bread" from RBC Ministries for September. So I pulled out the August one and read the one for the 9th today.


Samuel Rutherford wrote, “If God had told me some time ago that He was about to make me as happy as I could be in this world, and then had told me that He should begin by crippling me in all my limbs, and removing me from all my usual sources of enjoyment, I should have thought it a very strange mode of accomplishing His purpose. And yet, how is His wisdom manifest even in this! For if you should see a man shut up in a closed room, idolizing a set of lamps and rejoicing in their light, and you wished to make him truly happy, you would begin by blowing out all his lamps; and then throw open the shutters to let in the light of heaven.”

http://www.rbc.org/devotionals/our-daily-bread/2008/08/09/devotion.aspx

Which lamp am I still gazing at? When I should be finding the shutters to throw open.

No comments: